Wednesday 24 January 2018

Tuesday 23rd January - Tuesday ''knock up'' Paddock Lake Acorn Fisheries

There was nothing on at the weekend, just as well as it persisted down all weekend so I had a tackle maintenance day on the Sunday.
I did plan to fish the Tuesday ''knock up'' at Acorn Fisheries run by Mike Chapman and Ray Bazley, not my scene really but nice to have a bit of company and all very friendly.
It was nice to get out again and the weather forecast was reasonable for most of the day.
Only 7 turned up so we were well spread out around the 40 pegs on Paddock Lake (Snake Lake). It had been fishing very hard but with a rise in temperatures to a barmy 11 or 12 degrees we were hoping for a few fish.
I drew peg 40 which is right near the car park and by a bridge.


The peg does through up a few weights now and then but not recently. The wind was blowing right to left so I set up a dobbing rig to fish along the middle of the bridge as the carp usually lie under it. Another rig for just up off the bottom of the far shelf and finally one for down the track at 5 metres.
Micro's with a few dead pinkies for the track and far line and no feed for along the bridge. I also set up a bomb rod for fishing popped up bread.

Dan Hurley the joint owner of the on site Tackle Shop was on the other side of the bridge, peg 6 and Mike Chapman was on 37 to my right. The only other angers I could really see was Ray on 34 and Eddie Wynne on 9.

I fed my track and far line on the all in and then went on the dobbing rig fishing 6'' off the bottom. After 20 minutes not a sniff on the bread but during this time Eddie managed at least 3 carp right across.

First put in down the track I had a small micro tench and then some small roach. I also had an F1 around 2lb before resting the line and going across to a line I hadn't fed in the corner were the bridge meets the bank. A couple of small pasty carp around 10oz each came quickly before bites dried up.

Going on the the far line I had fed I connected with a lump but it came off halfway across. I had another decent fish on within 10 minutes or so and it came up to the surface before coming off as well, it was a big skimmer.

I could see Eddie continually landing fish so followed suit by re-plumping and going further across about halfway up the shelf. Quite a few pasty carp came on this line and I also had a decent carp of around 4lbs. 

Unfortunately the wind got up and it became impossible to present so had to stay down the track or up against the bridge nicking the odd small fish.

A helicopter appeared just to the north of the fishery following the motorway up, a big yellow one, might have been a Western Power aircraft, thought it was going to land it was that low.



Just before the match ended the heavens opened and it lashed down again so did not waste any time packing up.

Mike to my left also struggled today and tipped back around 4lb fish.

As expected Eddie done enough to win by a comfortable margin. I ended up with just over 13lbs.


Eddie with his catch made up with F1's

Results as follows:

1st     Eddie Wynne. 46-02 
2nd   Ray Bazeley. 28-14 
3rd    Mike Owens. 24-05 
4th    John Barker. 17-09 

Silvers

1st    John Barker. 6-02 
2nd   Ray Bazeley. 3-04 

Was going to fish the Taunton Open at the weekend on the Tone but due to all the rain and more to come I thought it would be called off so booked in on our Club Match on the Main Lake Plantation Fisheries. 


No comments:

Post a Comment